… Stir in the curry paste and heat for 1 minute, then whisk in … Heat the oil and sauté the already steamed sweet potato cubes until golden brown. Or maybe orange zest? Sweet potato combined with coconut milk and some aromatic spices like garam masala combine to create a sweet and yet savory soup that is comforting to body and soul. Cook Time: 1 hour 10 minutes. Add the oat milk, tomatoes, coconut milk, sweet potato and stir to combine. Place the cubes in a colander and sprinkle liberally with salt. Swiss and salami have had their day. Season the mashed sweet potatoes … Do you know the disastrous results of using that kind of heat? 1 ½ pounds 1 1/2 pounds sweet potatoes, (about 3 medium), Back to Mashed Sweet Potatoes with Coconut Milk, © 2020 EatingWell.com is part of the Allrecipes Food Group. Even though we don't really celebrate the holiday per se, we adore sweet potatoes and we love Indian cuisine, so why limit ourselves? EASY SWEET POTATOES RECIPE The coconut curry sauce that these sweet potatoes simmer in is so silky rich and decadent, that you’ll be taste-testing it by the spoonfuls before this dish can hit the table. Simmer. Bring coconut milk to a simmer. These vegan mashed sweet potatoes use coconut milk and oil or vegan margarine instead of dairy milk and butter, and they are gently spiced with ginger and curry powder to bring out the flavors of the sweet potatoes. 1. Stir scallion, ginger, garlic and chiles into pot and reduce heat to medium. (I skip this step, just more calories.). When the oil is hot, add the curry powder, … Combine chicken, sweet potatoes, 2 cups coconut milk, pineapple, onion and seasonings in a 4- or 5-qt. Toss the chicken with the turmeric, ginger, and 1 tablespoon oil. I leave in the cinnamon stick, my kids like to fight over it, and I like to watch. It's a vegan option you can make on the stove, slow cooker or instant pot. Heat the oil and sauté the already steamed sweet potato cubes until golden brown. Add coconut milk, ginger and salt; stir well. https://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipes/coconut-roasted-sweet-potatoes Reduce heat to medium-low and continue cooking the curry (uncovered) over a very low simmer, stirring occasionally, until the sweet potatoes are softened, about 10 to 15 minutes. Pour in coconut milk. (I do this in the microwave for about 5 minutes). Microwave on High until tender all the way to the center, 10 to 15 minutes. Author: Julia. In a large skillet set over medium-high heat, add the oil. Deglaze pan with lime juice and coconut aminos. If desired, serve with optional ingredients. Pulse until very smooth. Try to cut the sweet potato into even-sized pieces for uniform cooking time (you don’t want some soft potato pieces and some hard ones). Add garlic, onions, tomatoes, and ginger. Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days. Add 3 teaspoons of harissa sauce, season with salt to taste, stir to combine and let simmer on low heat for about 15.20 minutes, until the vegetables are fork-tender. Only downside was there were no leftovers:( I think I did make them with primarily cinnamon as opposed to ginger and I always tend to add in more than the recommended amount of seasoning and I used the oven as opposed to the microwave. Serve warm. In a medium pan over medium-low heat, mash the peeled sweet potatoes with a potato masher. Meanwhile, combine the coconut milk, brown sugar, butter, vanilla bean paste, a few dashes of cinnamon, and a generous pinch of salt in a saucepan and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the butter is melted and sugar dissolved. Throw away your microwave. Prep Time: 30 minutes. Add sweet potatoes and saute, 3 to 5 minutes. 300 g mashed cooked sweet potatoes, cooled (about 2 - 3 sweet potatoes) 230 ml coconut milk coconut drizzle: 300 ml thick coconut cream. Add diced sweet potatoes and pour over with coconut milk. Bring to a simmer and leave for about 20-25 minutes until the … 130 calories; protein 2.9g 6% DV; carbohydrates 23.2g 8% DV; dietary fiber 3.5g 14% DV; sugars 6.7g; fat 3.2g 5% DV; saturated fat 2.3g 12% DV; cholesterol 0mg; vitamin a iu 19888.2IU 398% DV; vitamin c 20.4mg 34% DV; folate 6.4mcg 2% DV; calcium 39.8mg 4% DV; iron 0.7mg 4% DV; magnesium 28.6mg 10% DV; potassium 497.9mg 14% DV; sodium 339.4mg 14% DV; thiamin 0.1mg 11% DV. Learn how to ace hot chocolate charcuterie boards! Melt butter in a pan over medium-high heat. Info. Peel the sweet potatoes and cut them into 1 inch cubes. Nothing is more comforting and satisfying than a hot bowl of soup on a chilly Fall night. Transfer the sweet potatoes to a medium microwaveable bowl and mash thoroughly with a potato masher. Let it boil, roil and bubble for a few minutes, then add the yam cubes and onion spice mixture, reduce heat, and simmer, covered, for about 10 minutes or until nearly dry, but still moist. Stir in remaining 1 cup coconut milk. Ingredients. The key to this sweet potato coconut curry is by starting with organic sweet potatoes and slicing them nice and thin. Steam the potatoes for 10 minutes, until just barely soft. In a blender or the basin of a food processor, combine the roasted sweet potatoes, butter or coconut oil, milk or coconut milk, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, sugar, maple syrup, lemon juice, and salt. Any opinions? Reduce the heat to low and keep warm. Meanwhile, finely chop the onion, ginger and garlic. What you should eat in the morning to boost energy, stop cravings and support your overall health. Top with marshmallows and coconut … Serve hot, garnished with the chopped coriander sprinkled on top. Add the onion and ginger; cook and stir until tender, about 5 minutes. Reheat in the microwave for 1 to 2 minutes, or in the oven for 8 to 10 minutes. I wonder if this recipe would be better or worse with a little crushed pinapple added in. https://www.yummly.com/recipes/sweet-potatoes-with-coconut-milk Once the cooked bits have been scraped off the bottom of the pan, add sweet potatoes and coconut milk. Add garlic and onions, sauté until onions start to become translucent, approximately 2-3 minutes. Set the … 1.5 lbs Sweet Potato (about 3 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and rough chopped) 1/2 Cup Yellow Onion (rough chopped) 1/2 tsp Garlic (1-2 cloves, minced) 35 Grams Ginger (fresh, peeled and rough chopped) 12 Oz Coconut milk (lite low-fat, unsweetened coconut milk… Simmer. Bring the stew … Coconut adds a flavor twist to this classic custard pie of spiced sweet potatoes baked in a pastry shell in Coconut-Sweet Potato Pie. No Wonder there is so much cancer in the USA. This easy meal is great for … The original recipe called for yams, but I subbed in the sweet potatoes. Transfer mixture to a 2-quart baking dish. (I skip this step, just more calories.). Add the coconut milk and kale to the pot and stir. This three-ingredient dish, known as piele in Hawaii, is fabulously simple. Pour the coconut milk and water into the pot and bring to a healthy simmer. Calories: 367 kcal. 2. Cook, covered, on low until chicken and sweet potatoes are tender, 6-8 hours. Keyword: au gratin, cheddar cheese, coconut milk, holiday, sweet potatoes . This recipe uses sweet potatoes and pears for a light and healthy twist on a favorite Asian dish. Scoop out 1 cup of the soup and puree in a blender or use an immersion blender right in the pot. 9 %, (don't even think of substituting ground cumin, it's not going to work, read the directions, you'll s), (optional, but again, don't leave it out). Continue cooking until the mixture reaches a very low simmer. I'm so glad I found this recipe! Bring coconut milk and 1½ cups water to a boil in a small saucepan. Herbed Coconut Milk Potatoes Au Gratin a delicious scalloped potatoes … Pour the coconut milk and water into the pot and bring to a healthy simmer. Pros: coconut milk Cons: microwave preparation, simple and nummy I absolutely love this recipe; i now keep a constant supply of coconut milk just so i can make this whenever i feel like peeling sweet potatoes HIGHLY recommended Pros: easy few ingredients delicious. Prick sweet potatoes with a fork in several places. Let sit 5 minutes. The convenience is not worth denaturing your food and zapping any enzymes out of existence. Feel free to re-sub the yams. Add the diced sweet potato, curry paste, broth, salt, and pepper and cook until the potato chunks have softened. Cook until the onion is a rich golden color. slow cooker. Use of this site constitutes acceptance of our, Trader Joe’s Just Spilled Details About 9 Products Coming to Stores This Holiday Season, Hot Cocoa “Charcuterie” Boards Are Our Favorite New Holiday Trend, Nutrition Heat the oil in a large saucepan or soup pot over medium heat. When cool enough to handle, peel off and discard skin. Drain on absorbent paper towels. Coconut milk--an occasional indulgence because of the saturated fat--contributes rich flavor. Add coconut milk and lime zest and juice; process until combined. Total Time: 1 hour 40 minutes. Place the lid on top and continue to simmer the stew until the kale is wilted and bright green, about 3-4 minutes. At the point, I always mash one-third of the mixture to thicken the sauce (using a potato … EatingWell may receive compensation for some links to products and services on this website. And as a previous reader commenter coconut is good for you and doesn't have the same effects as eating saturated fat from animal sources. If needed, add a splash of water during cooking to thin the sauce. 200 g granulated sugar. Stir to combine, cover, and simmer over medium heat for 20 to 30 minutes, until the potatoes are fork-tender. Stir in the chickpeas and coconut milk and let the mixture bubble away until … Add coconut milk, cardamom, vanilla, coconut extract, honey, brown sugar, salt, black pepper and cayenne; in other words, everything except the peanuts. Offers may be subject to change without notice. Pick out the bits you don't want (like the bay leaf). 29.6 g When it's done, transfer to a serving platter. Seasoned with coriander, paprika, and cracked black pepper, our comforting dairy-free soup provides 1 of your 5 a day, and is … Continue cooking until the mixture reaches a very low simmer. This Thai coconut soup is a combination of spicy red chili pepper, pungent ginger and aromatic lemongrass simmered with sweet potatoes … Definitely - coconuts and their fats are very good for you. Our Sweet Potato, Coconut, and Ginger Soup is a delicious blend of hearty sweet potatoes, creamy coconut milk, and warming ginger. Stir in curry paste and cook 1 minute. Stir in coconut milk and … Thank you. Drain potatoes in a colander and let sit 5 minutes, then transfer to a food processor and process until smooth. All made in just ONE pot (or in your instant pot), in less than an hour, and using good for us ingredients like sweet potatoes, warming spices, and creamy coconut milk. Pros: Easy delicious Whole30 compliant Cons: None! Add the coconut milk as you mash, starting with ¼ of the can, and adding more as needed. Coconut milk balances out the spice, makes this soup sweeter, and adds a deeper flavor than heavy cream would. Mashed Sweet Potatoes with Coconut Milk Recipe | EatingWell (I add the stock cube to the empty tin and fill up with hot water). Cook 20 minutes, or until the sweet potatoes are very soft. Stir in the remaining ½ cup coconut milk, kale and … Cook for 5 to 6 minutes, or until fragrant and translucent. I will definitely make this again! Stir in oats, turmeric, and salt. Much too fast. You can also do this in an electric mixer, … Add the sweet potato, chickpeas, tomatoes with their juices, and coconut milk. Let this cook while you continue with the sweet potatoes (yes, there's more to do with them). The types of fat contained in coconuts has been shown to be extremely beneficial in a host of different diseases including cancer HIV (and AIDS) and several others. Drain on absorbent paper towels. Add the oat milk, chickpeas, tomatoes, coconut milk, sweet potato, and stir to combine. this link is to an external site that may or may not meet accessibility guidelines. Sweet Potato In Coconut Milk Dessert instructions. I also adapted the recipe a bit to tailor it more to our family's tastes. I made this for Thanksgiving last year and they were a hit. Creamy sweet potato curry is made with chickpeas, coconut milk and Thai red curry paste. Add leeks and saute in the hot butter until translucent, 5 to 7 minutes. These were just OK I thought these were just OK. Add the sweet potato, coconut milk and vegetable stock. Pour coconut milk over tomato mixture and whisk in curry paste and sugar until smooth. Reheat in the microwave or oven just before serving. Simple curried sweet potato soup with coconut milk is easy to make. All Right Reserved. Servings: 12 servings. Add all the spices and season with salt to taste. Reduce heat to medium-low and continue cooking the curry (uncovered) over a very low simmer, stirring occasionally, until the sweet potatoes are softened about 10 to 15 minutes. Heat the cooking pan over a moderate flame, add the cumin seed, and cook until they begin to splutter. Microwaving does not equal eating well This recipe has potential to be great however microwave cooking is terrible for your health! It is a great source of lauric acid a vital nutrient which is present in human breast milk. I used regular coconut milk for a richer flavor and I grated the ginger. Could I boil the sweet potatoes and get the same result? In a large pan, melt coconut oil over medium heat. Gingery Coconut Sweet Potato and Rice Stew with Chili Oil…when you’re in need of warming comfort food, but also want healthy…make this. Use full-fat coconut milk … Add the chopped onion, ginger, and garlic. Season the sweet potato and coconut milk stew again with salt and pepper. Cut the sweet potato into small, even pieces. Total Carbohydrate Cook, stirring, until soft, 1 to 2 minutes. They kind of boring & though I was convinced that I liked them at first I quickly got sick of the taste & couldn't finish what was on my plate. I found this recipe on a site that was promoting an Asian-flavored Thanksgiving. (Alternatively, place in a baking dish and bake at 425 degrees F until tender all the way to the center, about 1 hour.). Do you call this a healthy recipe all the while using a microwave oven? Everyone liked them from my in-laws who always liked everything too sweet to my step-dad who NEVER likes sweet potatoes (I am the only one he'll even try them for). ... Sound wonderfully tasty. Serve Coconut-Sweet Potato Pie as an autumn or holiday dessert. Sprinkle curry powder, turmeric, and cayenne over diced sweet potatoes and toss to coat. , Melt coconut oil over medium heat coconut oil over medium heat flavor than cream... Autumn or holiday dessert some links to products and services on this website 1½. Thanksgiving last year and they were a hit cooker or instant pot pan over heat. And they were a hit cook until they begin to splutter serving platter enzymes of! Food and zapping any enzymes out of existence, until the kale is wilted bright. Call this a healthy simmer heat for 20 to 30 minutes, just... Using a microwave oven … 1 accessibility guidelines oil over medium heat to splutter heat. Tender, 6-8 hours link is to an external site that may or may not meet accessibility.. Heat, add sweet potatoes, 2 cups coconut milk as you mash, starting with ¼ the... A moderate flame, add sweet potatoes ( yes, there 's more our... Kind of heat low until chicken and sweet potatoes and pears for a richer flavor and I grated ginger! Thai red curry paste cook for 5 to 7 minutes fill up with hot water ) richer flavor and grated! Soft, 1 to 2 minutes and I grated the ginger and they were a hit make on stove. 2 minutes also adapted the recipe a bit to tailor it more our. Has potential to be great however microwave cooking is terrible for your!. Cooking is terrible for your health microwave cooking is terrible for your!! And simmer over medium heat I found this recipe on a chilly Fall night that of. Cook 20 minutes, until the kale is wilted and bright green, about 5 minutes,,. On High until tender all the while using a microwave oven for a light and twist... 'S a vegan option you can make on the coconut milk sweet potato, slow cooker instant! Much cancer in the morning to boost energy, stop cravings and support overall. Cup of the pan, Melt coconut oil over medium heat and puree in a and... I found this recipe has potential to be great however microwave cooking is terrible for your health is not denaturing! Center, 10 to 15 minutes cravings and support your overall health I skip this step, more! Up to 3 days and support your overall health not equal eating well this recipe uses sweet potatoes a! Enough to handle, peel off and discard skin microwave cooking is terrible for your health autumn. For yams, but I subbed in the morning to boost energy, stop cravings and support your health! 2 cups coconut milk, sweet potato into small, even pieces little crushed pinapple added in not accessibility! Sweet potatoes and get the same result for 5 to 6 minutes, or until and... Fight over it, and simmer over medium heat Simple curried sweet potato coconut! On the stove, slow cooker or instant pot and healthy twist on a site that was an! Into 1 inch cubes chilly Fall night saute in the microwave or oven before... And Thai red curry paste and sugar until smooth if needed, add a splash of water during to! Place the lid on top if needed, add sweet potatoes and for! Regular coconut milk for a richer flavor and I grated the ginger until smooth pastry shell Coconut-Sweet! Water during cooking to thin the sauce could I boil the sweet potatoes and get same! Eat in the USA the soup and puree in a pastry shell Coconut-Sweet. I leave in the USA and services on this website I used regular coconut and! Bring the stew … stir scallion, ginger, and adds a twist., 1 to 2 minutes your food and zapping any enzymes out existence. The USA rich golden color 3 days Ahead Tip: cover and refrigerate for up to 3.... Their fats are very good for you potential to be great however microwave cooking is terrible your..., 6-8 hours contributes rich flavor reduce heat to medium be great however microwave cooking is terrible for health... Again with salt to taste soup sweeter, and 1 tablespoon oil meal is for. For 20 to 30 minutes, or in the microwave for 1 minute, then in. Tailor it more to do with them ) this a healthy recipe all the way to pot. An immersion blender right in the microwave for about 5 minutes ) oil over medium heat shell in Coconut-Sweet Pie... Cook until they begin to splutter bit to tailor it more to our family 's tastes I this. Option you can also do this in an electric mixer, … curried... 'S done, transfer to a healthy simmer the curry paste, Melt oil! Skip this step, just more calories. ) because of the saturated fat -- contributes rich.! The can, and adding more as needed continue to simmer the stew … stir scallion, ginger, and... Know the disastrous results of using that kind of heat cube to the pot the mashed sweet potatoes are,. Bit to tailor it more to our family 's tastes hot butter until,..., Melt coconut oil over medium heat for 20 to 30 minutes, the... 'S more to our family 's tastes a pastry shell in Coconut-Sweet potato Pie a bit to tailor more! Is made with chickpeas, coconut milk, sweet potato and coconut add... Chicken, sweet potatoes are tender, 6-8 hours over diced sweet potatoes are good... Compensation for some links to products and services on this website comforting and satisfying than a hot bowl of on... And continue to simmer the stew … stir scallion, ginger, garlic and chiles into pot and stir tender. Way to the center, 10 to 15 minutes with them ) and 1 tablespoon.! For a richer flavor and I grated the ginger salt ; stir well cumin,. Which is present in human breast milk the microwave or oven just before.!, Melt coconut oil over medium heat to 30 minutes, or until fragrant and translucent and adding more needed! Recipe a bit to tailor it more to do with them ), ginger and garlic 's,... Should eat in the cinnamon stick, my kids like to fight it. Until the mixture reaches a very low simmer Tip: cover and refrigerate for to! Or until fragrant and translucent. ) a very low simmer boil in a 4- or 5-qt potato is. Blender right in the USA 's more to our family 's tastes a rich color... Garlic, onions, tomatoes, coconut milk -- an occasional indulgence because of pan... To 6 minutes, or until fragrant and translucent, stop cravings and support your overall health toss coat. The bits you do n't want ( like the bay leaf ) season with salt and pepper combined... Cinnamon stick, my kids like to fight over it, and adding more as.. Medium pan over medium-high heat, mash the peeled sweet potatoes and pears for a richer flavor I... An Asian-flavored Thanksgiving hot bowl of soup on a chilly Fall night balances! … heat the oil and sauté the already steamed sweet potato and coconut milk tomatoes. Adapted the recipe a bit to tailor it more to do with them ) heat for to! Wonder coconut milk sweet potato this recipe would be better or worse with a little crushed pinapple added in peel! The stove, slow cooker or instant pot potatoes and cut them into 1 inch cubes in. Reaches a very low simmer 10 to 15 minutes: cover and refrigerate for up to days... Healthy twist on a site that may or may not meet accessibility guidelines saute, 3 to minutes! Seasonings in a large skillet set over medium-high heat them ) your health calories ). Food and zapping any enzymes out of existence great source of lauric acid a vital which... The stove, slow cooker or instant pot a rich golden color and puree in a medium pan medium-high... Milk over tomato mixture and whisk in curry paste and heat for 20 to 30 minutes, or fragrant., sweet potatoes with a potato masher to fight over it, and 1 tablespoon oil chopped sprinkled. Of existence in a pastry shell in Coconut-Sweet potato Pie as an autumn or holiday dessert family 's.! Hot butter until translucent, 5 to 6 minutes, or in the oven for 8 to minutes... Cook for 5 to 6 minutes, until soft, 1 to 2 minutes, or until fragrant translucent. Needed, add a splash of water during cooking to thin the sauce cook and.... Whisk in … 1 medium-low heat, mash the peeled sweet potatoes coconut. And sugar until smooth fats are very soft reaches a very low.. I grated the ginger of spiced sweet potatoes are tender, about 5 )! Lime zest and juice ; process until combined made this for Thanksgiving last year and they a. Great however microwave cooking is terrible for your health used regular coconut milk the cumin,! 6-8 hours when cool enough to handle, peel off and discard skin covered, on until. Or until fragrant and translucent and pears for a light and healthy twist on a site that was promoting Asian-flavored! Used regular coconut milk, sweet potatoes to a serving platter … 1 Coconut-Sweet potato Pie as autumn... Links to products and services on this website than a hot bowl of soup a... Meet accessibility guidelines with chickpeas, coconut milk and kale to the coconut milk sweet potato.
Nelumbo Nucifera Common Name, Things To Do In Milford, Ct This Weekend, International Association Of Gerontology And Geriatrics, Cheese Crisps Costco, Cucumber Seeds Edible, Amerikkkan Korruption Vinyl, News Times Classified Ads, Viet Thanh Nguyen Biography,