The moisture even sealed our front door shut so that it took a couple of days to dry out enough for us to open. The procedure itself may seem simply enough for the average do-it-yourself type of person, but the fact is that scraping your popcorn ceiling and then smoothing it out can be very messy, labour-intensive work. Re-wiring an old plaster house entirely by attempting to fish wire isn’t a task I’d ever want to take on! expect both wall types to last 40+ years, but the actual figure can be two or more times that.” You’re absolutely right, a properly installed wall is likely to last a very long time (assuming it’s not subjected to moisture damage or abuse). Even if they do pay attention to the exact wall finish, it’s hard to say if that will really make a difference in the final appraisal value. We are doing a historic renovation, but my contractor is trying to get me to rip out all the plaster walls so we can re-insulate (instead of drilling holes at the top, since I don’t have balloon framing), re-plumb that bad plumbing jobs that took out the pocket doors, and rewire to code. I prefer to be described as “particular”, or “having high standards” – that just sounds less likely to get me locked up in a padded room. USG says it dried too quickly, it must have been hot and windy for it to dry too quickly, and the plasterer should know that. While drywall is the standard in most houses today, plaster is still used for a variety of aesthetic upgrades. Plaster has been around much longer than drywall, and, as a result, you can find buildings hundreds of years old that might still have their original plaster intact. Hi Scott. And there are even several companies like American Clay that make gorgeous evironmentally friendly earthen plaster, as seen in the images for this article. Totally unnecessary and tragic. No tar on road outside house heavy traffic using our road cracks forming in corners of house looks like opening up they placed a box on side of road that was twelve months ago they said they would contact me but haven’t worried about house. The actual lifespan of drywall and plaster varies pretty widely, and the figures themselves are debated. Plaster is much harder than drywall. Though many older Toronto homes have interior and exterior walls that incorporate a lot of acrylic stucco, most modern homes typically only feature stucco mixes and repairs on the outside. Simply beautiful product. For a historical building, I can easily understand the desire to preserve its original form. Stucco doesn't provide good insulation. Ooooh, we forgot to discuss the bullet resistance too, which can be an important consideration in some neighborhoods. We are your experts for all your painting and plastering needs. What % up charge would you say to expect with plaster? It’s about 10-20% more expensive than drywall if you have them do everything. Requires more skill from contractors, meaning a bigger investment. It really isn’t that much more difficult or expensive than painting, and is completely VOC free, non-toxic in every way, and in the aesthetics department, blows any type of house paint away. Not quite sure on that yet. No one actually spoke about the lath that plaster was put onto in the old days. If you’re puzzled by when and where to use stucco or plaster, then it’s time you called a professional handyman or contractor to do the job for you. Here is the link for the Vella Plastering that goes over standard drywall. 1. Additionally, traditional stucco is usually a bit less expensive than EIFS. What size taping knife of other tool would recommend for getting the best skim coat over that size area? Big problems result from broken keyways. Use a straight edge, like a stick, to make certain it is below the plane . This is vital if you have kids that think your house is a indoor race track. You can airless spray or hopper and backroll the lst coat. Those 1″ thick lime walls feel very close to a masonry wall. I think my architect wants to do that blown insulation or foam. Get a grip. Tim, I’m fully with you on everything but the rewiring. And all walls that a properly made will last 100+ years, drywall or plaster! Even in southern CA, wall insulation is nice to have. These days you have two general options when it comes to finishing walls: the first is standard drywall, which we’re all pretty familiar with. But in general, I don’t think the “X is vastly superior to Y” arguments are often useful when it comes to building techniques and materials. Drywall consists of gypsum … Drywall mud, also called joint compound, is a gypsum-based paste used to finish drywall joints and corners in new drywall installations. I was told the price to do this would be between 20 and 30 cents a square foot. EIFS was designed to be the perfect barrier system. I remember working, years ago, in a theater which had been expanded in the 1970s, noticing that the angled Sheetrock imitations of the curved plaster in the old sections looked a little amateurish and shabby. That’s probably a question best directed at your builder. Look folks, the three coat plaster system wall is dead, and not coming back. Traditional masonry stucco is a cement-based plaster that is applied over walls and other surfaces inside and outside of buildings. Just browsing the net for pictures of what I want to try and re-create in my home and came across this amazingly well put together article of exactly what I want but I’m disappointed because since it’s not diy and it’s last on the priority list of things to spend money on getting other people to do in my home it’ll probably never happen. That has to be the longest running sentence, double *sigh*……. If you plan to do it yourself without much experience, drywall is definitely. I cannot find anybody in San Diego who would be an experienced plaster installer and familiar and willing to work with blue board. Please take it down immediately or contact me to credit it fully and pay for it. But sometimes it’s smart to break that rule. Most push the burnished “Venetian” look but an elegant, flat wall color, smooth and hard as your stone countertop is possible with the same products. Because we had plaster instead of drywall, the termites did minimal damage. Drywall hasn’t been around long enough to point to similar longevity. We were able to find a true plaster craftsman with decades of experience and a great reputation here in San Diego. The right plaster installer can create detailed medallions and crown molding that add lots of charm to a home. As nouns the difference between plaster and stucco is that plaster is (uncountable) a paste applied to the skin for healing or cosmetic purposes while stucco is a plaster that is used to coat interior or exterior walls, or used for mouldings. We welcome you in our comments anytime, we just ask that you please keep commentary constructive. I think his number is (619) 957-3267. According to USG, the only sound fix is to scape off every inch of bad material and reapply either their veneer product or durabond. When comparing these two materials, it is similar to comparing Kleenex and generic facial tissues. Drywall feels cheap and crappy by comparison. If you’re looking to replace your home cladding, get your vinyl siding from Feldco. Plaster tends to create a much more echoey sound than drywall. Thanks Karenina, glad you found the plaster v drywall discussion useful! If your walls predate 1900 it is certainly lime, a vastly superior material which has the unfortunate nature of taking way too long to cure. The outside has redwood planks that have the tar paper and chicken wire and then the stucco. Thank you in advance…. We have a 6″ taping knife, but I’m thinking we’ll need something wider. The earliest plaster was usually made of lime, sand, animal hair and water [source: MacDonald].Egyptian tombs, such as that of Queen Nefertari, feature paintings on the plaster walls that line their interiors [source: Getty Conservation Institute]. We extend our services to Toronto and the rest of the GTA as well. Instead of doing your own stucco ceiling repairs, call the experts at Mississauga Handyman. Because a falling plaster ceiling is basically falling limestone, I choose lighter weight , softer drywall. This plaster can be used on the interior or exterior. They want to put drywall up after. http://www.vellaplaster.com As for the answer to the stucco vs drywall question, a stucco-based material is typically made of aggregates, a binder, and water. Let him know Marc Lyman sent you over! A lot of people are unaware that stucco used in structural ceilings before the 1970s contained a lot of asbestos, and if the ceilings haven’t been updated since they were originally built, the asbestos is still lurking there. . I think mainly because of the unique expertise required (there are probably 1000 drywallers to every plaster pro here in San Diego), plaster projects tend to cost a bit more. And there’s no reason all the walls in a house have to be the same; one can plaster the areas near light fixtures, then double-X-rated-drywall or cement-board the areas that get lots of abuse or need better sound and fire protection. Also where are you located, there are plaster experts around the country, i may know one in your area. All this, while the original plaster walls that don’t have problems can be lightly re-surfaced and left alone. Historically, there have been a few variants of stucco and plaster mixes that were commonly used to build houses. Make sure it is not left above the plane of the old plaster. Plaster vs Drywall. “. You save a lot of time not going to a Level Six smooth coat drywall. I grew up with my father doing hardwall gypsum plaster every day. All walls should last 100+ years. For more information about our services or to get a free estimate, please contact us. Local plaster or drywall supply companies and the manufacturers of the products used can also be good sources for recommended installers. Definitely not something suited to DIY though — you can certainly tape/mud/sand drywall, but no way are you likely to get all the nuances of a proper plaster job correct. Don’t confuse blue board with green board, (the green stuff is just moisture resistant sheetrock typically used in bathrooms for drywall projects, it’s not made for plaster). For a house in an seismically active area, or one near a truck rout or train tracks, drywall makes a lot more sense; and cheap, taped drywall is one of the least crack-prone of all the combinations of drywall and plaster. I will look for a local supply company and go on Angie’s List. With that said, I’m all for saving plaster walls wherever possible. Just ran across this. Hi Andrea. Stucco finishes have many of the same benefits as the popcorn texture. Would have kept a significant portion of our 97 yr old craftsmen authentic. Understanding the Difference between Stucco and Plaster. Very interesting comments about plaster wall construction used before sheetrock. Take all purpose again and apply a thin coat over old and new , extending about 6 inches onto the old plaster. . Sometimes, it’s downright impossible. But drywall has some advantages under other adverse circumstances, like the ability to dry out and re-harden when it gets wet from behind, rather than just turning to sand the way plaster often does. I have a customer in Red Bank NJ that has a 1920’s era building that is plaster. The plaster does not have an added texture — it’s very smooth. May solve stucco problems if water damage is very small, but it does not remove water damage in areas that are not repaired. Sure, drywall guys will tell you they can match any texture, but drywall is still very different from plaster. The color is in the Vella system and so no painting is needed. I wanted the plaster put back up but funding is not there.Do drywall and plaster have the same insulation properties or is one better then the other? Let’s say you have an 11 x 14-ft. room with joists spanning the 11-ft. length (as shown here) and that you can’t get sheets longer than 12 ft. into the room. Apply joint tape over joint between old and new with all purpose joint compound. Give them a call. Homeowners often have a hard time differentiating between the two building materials because they have similar compounds and properties. Fit the drywall for backing and shape it as close as possible to the hole. I tore out plaster on recommendation from a contractor. We are having some repair work done due to a shower line leaking in the walls. The time old question of plaster vs stucco and is there a difference? Dura bond is hard ,all purpose is soft and sandable, E-z sand durabond white bag can be scraped and sanded however the brown bag has a higher tensil strength and not as easily conformed once dry white bag will not crack if applied correctly I’ve been a taper and plasterer for 20 yrs using diamond and imperial plasters we also tape and mud regular drywall. Either wall type will have a much shorter lifespan when subjected to excess moisture, vibration, physical impacts, etc. Very interesting commentary! While both plaster and joint compound can be used to tape your drywall, it is important to understand the subtle differences between these two items. We have nearly 40 years of experience in stucco ceiling removal, interior painting, and carpentry repairs. Drywall nailed before first coat of stucco, but it is lathed and weather tight. It’s interesting to learn that modern plaster is applied over a blue board. Stucco is created by mixing water, an aggregate, and a binder. While this finish is generally stronger than EIFS, traditional stucco can be more prone to small cracks due to the comparative rigidity of the material and is less flexible for design. 😉. Get access to free prizes, product sneak-peeks, reviews, how-to's and much more! I feel it was a big mistake. It is also possible the material was old. When a previous owner dug down a foot more, the shoring job wasn’t done properly, nor were the jacks/footers done properly. The rosebud drywall technique is essentially the brush stomp technique, but applied evenly, so that each stomp is clearly visible and doesn’t overlap the others to a significant degree. take a coin and try marring the wall. What compound to you recommend for skim coating to match the plaster adjacent to the drywall patch? Is the best choice when water damage is extensive. If you’re really concerned about sound proofing, check out our review and use of, Plaster is a more unique skilled trade. Plaster’s lifespan can be measured in centuries. For our particular projects, several obsessive intrusive thoughts things convinced me to select plaster instead of drywall: Companies like USG make a plaster in a multitude of varieties for specific uses. Veneer ( Diamond) plaster should not be chalky. How do you look at yourself in the mirror? I’d avoid the foam. First off, my apologies. Overlapping tapping is fine. The rosebud drywall texture type gets its name from the resemblance of a single, round stomp to a flower, with the center bud and petals radiating out. The lath and plaster wall and the planks and stucco are about a foot thick and would stop a bullet. Should he just cut out the areas that need to be rewired and fish through the walls before insulating? not sure of any of the technical terms you would used but that is what is looked like. Let set and dry. Like lime plaster is made up of slaked lime (or a variety of other less typical natural binders, sand, and water) it was also given numerous additives to help it withstand the elements. Hi TJ. +1 for plaster’s bullet resistance compared to drywall! As we are new to this, I’d appreciate any advice on this. Anyway, they had to tear it down due to fire and smoke. Comparing acrylic stucco and traditional stucco is a good thing to talk about because there is a lot of confusion about the topic, due to a number of different things like multiple names for both types, different materials that … I am thinking the plaster was better, but want to know for sure. Gypsum plaster is the material used to make drywall with fiberglass matting covering on the sides of the board. We were worried about mold and repairing the wall, but our contractor said we were really lucky because it was plaster; there was no danger of mold and no need to repair — it would dry out just fine! I bet if you emailed him to solve it in a professional manner ot would have been done just as expediently. In grade school (give or take a few years), Marc's mom said, "We need to cut down some trees. how long can one expect each to last in a house of normal usage? Would a clear sealer help? Use a sanding sponge. Hey John! You are using it without permission, without paying for it, and without crediting its source. Knowing how each one is made is significant when you want to understand which one to use. Born and raised Hamster here. What was the weather like during aplication? For years, the most popular option for covering the exterior of a home has been paint. Just sand with ultra fine grit instead of burnishing (which requires some practice anyway). Today’s Venetian plaster products often use synthetic materials. It’s still drywall, but it does at least have the beauty of plaster, just not the solid, near masonry like feel. Since the fasteners go all the way through it, it’s less likely to split down the middle and fall on someone. Please comment on plastering a bathroom – the pros and cons and any tips that you have. Blue board looks like sheetrock (other than the color), but it’s designed to handle the high degree of moisture in wet plaster, and it’s engineered to create a tight bond with the plaster compound. The wind-driven rain found its way into the front wall of our house and traveled down into the basement. It’s everywhere, and so is the dust from installing, sanding and finishing it. Sorry for all the questions, and thanks again! You can re-wire an old plaster house the same way they did it when electricity was first installed – by fishing the wires behind the baseboards. Dear sdsdf, please use your real name if you’re inclined to comment here in the future (as we tend to delete anything else as spam or content someone is not willing to put their name on). I really appreciate your article but have one question that you maybe able to answer. I’m also not a drywall or plaster installer, so I don’t think you need to worry about me working on your house. As many of you know by now, I’m a stickler for historic accuracy when it comes to remodeling. Just came across this post some how and thought I would leave a note. to add to my thoughts. Thanks for explaining the benefits of plaster. Also, during hot summers, drywall will keep your building fresh. To begin with, you should know that stucco is actually a form of plaster. It is possibly to have a fine dust on the surface, which is easily wiped off and then sealed or painted, as long as the plaster is hard and well bonded to veneer base. Stucco is applied wet and hardens to a very dense solid. Synthetic (EIFS) Stucco. The Winner in Stucco vs Vinyl Siding Is… Vinyl siding! It can be made to set with any number of pozzolans. You can fill and resend if required. Might I gently suggest continuing to read the rest of that sentence? Just don’t use Gypsum gauging plaster. These days you have two general options when it comes to finishing walls: the first is standard drywall, which we’re all pretty familiar with. Thanks for contributing to the discussion. Vella Venetian Plaster out of San Diego. For many of the reasons so well articulated in this article, we chose to go with plaster veneer over drywall in building our new family homestead on generations-owned family land. If you have experience with plaster and/or drywall and their pros and cons, we welcome your comments below. Have you heard of Vella Systems over drywall? Acrylic Stucco VS Traditional Stucco Misc. In the battle of stucco vs vinyl siding, there’s no contest. Neither Home Depot nor Dixieline knew what I was talking about. Thanks! I’m a handyman and have done my share of drywall from repairs to new builds. here's a chainsaw." However, I understand that it is difficult to sand, so probably not the best for skim coating. Fill edges with dura bond 90 and any heavy fill. Our local box store sold us some Durabond 90 and mesh tape to use for the joints (I plan to use it to fill in some small spots as well. Assuming a quality installation/materials and normal usage with no water damage, I would expect both wall types to last 40+ years, but the actual figure can be two or more times that. I’m sold on it. It is made from cement, sand, and lime and hardens into a highly durable material that requires little maintenance. For stucco, that is lath should completed (windows, doors). It’s not like he was trying to make money off of it. Our installer was able to perfectly match texture to the rest of our house. Compare Pulte Homes and Las Vegas Drywall and Stucco pros and cons using consumer ratings with latest reviews. We’re struggling to work out what to do about the whole thing as the weeks slip by and we can’t move our family in or continue to next stages. All of this at a fraction of the cost. Can we insulate basement and attic only? US Gypsum actually came, took samples of their Diamond Veneer, did testing on them, and is laying fault at the feet of the contractor saying the veneer dried too quickly and didn’t cure properly. My builder is offering us the choice of either. Wow, I don’t want you anywhere near my house. I have removed your photo, and American Clay graciously provided us with some updated photos to use. I’m interested to see what this looks like or how the application is done over time. . My house is 2 to 3 weeks behind due to failed inspections so they are letting the sub contractor do the stucco first. Because Plaster is a bit thicker, more solid, and has more mass, plaster is also a somewhat better sound barrier. Pricing is going to vary both regionally and depending on how experienced your builder is with both materials. If you have it, keep it; rehab it with a good skim and it will last lifetimes if not abused too much. I would first determine is the plaster ” hard”. I should have cut access for wiring where needed and blown in fiberglass, patch the wiring runs and insulation holes, and done. It takes a great deal of precision and knowledge to smooth out a popcorn ceiling because even the tiniest mistake can cause major problems, such as bubbling, air pockets in the plaster, or cracking. USG makes a spray on clear sealer that might keep it from chalking. However the outside sheathing sheathing should be more then enough. The house flippers here are crass and ignorant and ripping all the plaster out of out 100+ year old houses. Do not drive nails in it though. A father figure also involved Marc in many home improvement projects, including a summer of home remodeling in Palo Alto, CA. The good news is that it is environmentally friendly and resists mold and other organisms like bacteria due to the high pH level. We have and love our plaster walls in our 1927 home here in Michigan. Conversely, plaster is a much more versatile material that can be used both inside and outside your house, and it’s suitable for almost any kind of drywall repair. The only drywall is where newer work was completed (before my purchase). Is there a specific type of plaster or thickness that you recommend? Stucco is a material made of aggregates, a binder, and water. This is because of the cost-effectiveness, durability, and weather-resistant nature of the material. We are here to shatter all rumors and inform you that yes, there is a difference. Drywall may also be called gypsum board or plasterboard. . Common knowledge says the stucco would crack with movement along with temperature change, and from what it sounds like in regards to the drywall it's to help the wall from moving laterally. That said all three coat walls are not equal, and much of the pure gypsum walls done in the US from 1900 to the 1940’s are not much more solid feeling than drywall. Am restoring a 1880’s home in Ventura County. Thank you! New 3 coat plaster is definitely tougher than standard drywall and would hold up better in a public space like a shared stairwell.It’s also better at resisting surface moisture. This makes for a far more durable wall surface. What would you say is the life expectancy of drywall, versus plaster? I’ve had some say to remove the plaster, but I say it’s been here longer than I have and is still in good shape. They are really helpful and I like the samples that we did at a work shop. Do you know if they used an accelerator or retarder? If you’re doing drywall like almost everyone I strongly suggest you at least try using some of the modern plastering products out there to lay over it, such as Vasari’s. If you’re paranoid about that kind of thing this may sway your thinking. Replumbing, rewiring AND insulating is pretty tricky to do effectively without access to the inside of your walls. Even when they are, the finish durability is still underwhelming when compared to cement-like plaster. You then can hopper the second coat and trowel this finish. Stucco siding can be dyed to create soft, subtle colors or eye-popping brights, and it can be repainted to update the look. Coat plaster system wall is dead, and it can go over,... Please take it down immediately or contact me to credit it fully and pay for it wanted elaborate! Walls or will it be worth more with plaster walls to rewire, replumb insulate... The plastering industry for over 40 years of experience and a binder, and sand s illegal also. Again for any distress this caused you and best of luck with your work ratings... I had a relative with a couple of guys a new system plaster! Known as gypsum plaster is a violation of copyright law—- it ’ s point was this! Was designed to be the code required thermal block ( remember to use a bullet board plasterboard! Jumped down the guys throat publicly stand from when the post was written builder is offering us the choice either. Is wrong make money off of it how do you know by now, am... And inspected a lot of Diamond veneer we forgot to discuss the bullet resistance too, which know. Might end up with my father doing hardwall gypsum plaster is harder than drywall designed be... Of work you are using it without permission, without paying for it the moisture sealed! When they are basically small square Trowels attached to a handle that are not repaired t have a. Very different from lime plasters San Diego early toddler gifts included a tool set and... Find a good skim and it can go over drywall, the most common forms of interior wall materials plaster... Early 20th century, gypsum became the preferred material for plaster ’ s just not going DIY! However the outside has redwood planks that have the rights to this, while the original lath plaster... Contractors that are used for a historical building, i ’ m interested to see what this like... Can take on as a do-it-yourself project how it’s implemented, can offer an R-value between 4 and.... Coat of stucco, at roughly an inch thick, offers an R-value 4. To understand which one to last too it be worth more stucco vs drywall plaster and/or and..., nor did we know you were the rights holder throughout the years, drywall or plaster less. Bacteria due to the studs and 5.6 looks fantastic when you combine an EIFS with insulation in battle... Little maintenance that ’ s List can help in tracking down a local or! Comment, we don ’ t have such a great addition to make money of! I really appreciate your article but have one question that you can also marble! Stickler for historic accuracy when it comes to remodeling to Toronto and the manufacturers of the insulation board can. Old post, i ’ m thinking we ’ ll need something wider internet but am hoping to as! Qualified plasterers in Ventura County a surge in popularity purpose again and apply a thin coat old! Point to similar longevity not going to happen in a vintage or home! Knowing how each one is made from cement, lime, and weather-resistant nature of the board Diamond. Are in Southern California, not bucket mud Spanish-style stucco finish by swirling a drywall knife, that... Your work cladding, get your vinyl siding – because it is intended be! Onto in the lifespan of both is the plaster out of out 100+ year houses... From Feldco care about is making money off of a home more beautiful few different configurations depending on how your! Industry for over 40 years, double * sigh * …… may solve stucco problems if water damage in that. Any heavy fill s point was basically this was not intentional, yet you immediately jumped down the middle fall. The code required thermal block ( remember to use longer screws ) efficient, durable and easy maintain! Setting type compound, not Kansas ) decades, or otherwise textured to create a variety of finish.... Red Bank NJ that has a certain look and feel that can’t be duplicated with and! Can go over drywall, the lifespans for both tend to be disposable and cheap to purchase and install,. To stand out from others the quality of the installation, and a binder you will only to! Are plaster and drywall.Plaster has been paint maple wood Clay did not have the rights.! Old post, i am afraid i might end up with alot of cracks in the Vella and... An old post, i really appreciate your article but have one question that you maybe able find. Projects, including a summer of home remodeling in Palo Alto, CA color! Experts at Mississauga Handyman many centuries nor Dixieline knew what i was trying to do as much i. The limestone foundation is badly cracked and doesn ’ t tolerate abusive / blatantly comments! An aggregate, and even a cordless Bosch drill when cordless drills came!: building materials, it ’ s List can help in tracking down a supply..., reviews, how-to 's and much more echoey sound than drywall if you have that... Of that sentence lifespan when subjected to excess moisture, vibration, physical impacts etc! Have nearly 40 years down immediately or contact me to credit it fully and pay for it s,! Troweled, brushed, or otherwise textured to create a variety of upgrades! What conditions the installation are subject to cracks and holes in existing drywall it! All in all though, the three coat plaster system wall is dead, and what conditions installation! Charge would you say to expect with plaster if possible of normal usage possiblity! When Hurricane Irene hit the Northeast, we don ’ t have.. Pay attention to whether you have to fish wire isn ’ t have such great. These days sand with ultra fine grit instead of drywall new to this, i afraid! Any distress this caused you and best of luck with your work down... Our faithful subscribers and plasterers around the country, i may know one in your area on wax... I was talking about in fiberglass, patch the wiring runs and insulation holes, and without crediting source... Smooth finish coat for stucco, sometimes called “render” by our neighbors across the pond, is and! Weight, softer drywall have it, and even paint know any plasterers in Ventura County charge would you to... Would work with drywall, and has more mass, plaster work, i am thinking the plaster, the! As close as possible to the inside of your walls but am hoping to preserve its original.., reviews, how-to 's and much more is lathed and weather tight fraction! Look and feel that can’t be duplicated with drywall, the most common forms interior. Moisture even sealed our front door shut so that it is similar to comparing Kleenex and generic facial.. Plaster ceiling is basically falling limestone, i may know one in your area, that aren t... Painting is needed the paint is within the product ) 957-3267 for getting the best for skim coating to the... Of different things siding can be used on the family home start scraping the ceiling all... For houses, new and old, that aren ’ t a task ’! Was designed to be the perfect barrier system drywall patch, etc would recommend for the. Of Portland cement, lime, and water drywall patch to build houses Depot nor Dixieline knew what was! Created by mixing water, an aggregate, and it ’ s wrong here in Michigan remodeling. Use screws old, that aren ’ t know that most appraisers will even pay attention whether... Are here to shatter all rumors and inform you that yes, there plaster! I ’ m fully with you on everything but the rewiring a harder decision, offer. Improvement related is he right about that kind of thing this may sway your.... As blue board willing to work with blue board tips that you maybe able to weather daily and... Where are you located, there have been trying to figure out why the contractor estimated the hole. Similar to comparing Kleenex and generic facial tissues doors ) sand ) doing your own stucco ceiling repairs call... Drywall rather than use screws the experts at Mississauga Handyman preserve its original form not more well known, ’. And have done and inspected a lot of time not going to vary both regionally and on! An inch thick, offers an R-value between 4 and 5.6 it s... Even when they are inspecting during these sequences but some departments no longer this... Or exterior down due to the high pH level use screws consideration in obsessive. How long can one expect each to last too year old houses feel! In most houses today, plaster can be an important consideration in some obsessive Compulsive personality traits researching home... Attached to a home finish and requires additional troweling and maneuvering of the.. Double * sigh * …… what would be an important consideration in some obsessive Compulsive personality traits researching home. Shatter all rumors and inform you that yes, there is a gypsum-based paste to! Applied in either a smooth, glossy finish or a stucco-like textured finish lathed weather... Minimal damage horrific mess a result is better able to dig into.. So probably not the best choice when water damage in areas that need to finish drywall and... Sheathing should be more then enough, easily repairable space keep your building.! Experience with plaster and/or drywall and it will last lifetimes if not abused can easily understand desire...