I even go one step further and hand sand with a worn 220 disc and a sanding block in the direction of the wood grain. Don’t get your pad very far past the edge, as this can round the corners slightly. Of course, doing this is seldom possible on turnings and decorative veneer patterns such as sunbursts and marquetry. In this case, the top half was sanded to #180 grit and the bottom half to #600 grit. The thin plastic can prevent this from happening, saving time, money, and even hair. Fold a piece of the same grit paper that made the scratches into three layers and sand with the grain, pushing the paper into the corner of the wood. Prepare the surface by using medium paper first, and then proceed to finer grades. Subscribe ». Wrap your piece completely in thin painters cling plastic until you are ready for finish. Just lightly make sweeping passes to cover the entire piece. If you can’t avoid cross-grain sanding, you will have to find a compromise between creating scratches fine enough so they don’t show and coarse enough so the stain still darkens the wood adequately. Tilt the sander to lift the abrasive just before reaching the far skirting board. The sanding scratches won’t show as long as they are in the direction of the grain. I compared and everything checks out. While the “best” option is often prohibitively expensive to most, the “totally decent” option will be a much more affordable tool that will still give you excellent results. So by sanding along the grain you will need less time with finer and finer sandpaper to get the same finish. The scratching that does occur is then more likely to be disguised by the grain of the wood. A very good woodworker I know makes passes running with the grain on one grit, then makes his passes on the next grit 90 degrees to the first passes. The end grain is more subject to tear out and damaged fibers, besides being harder to sand so extra effort is required. This will help level slight variations in the floor. Dump out the sanding dust and mix it with some glue until it’s a putty consistency. Compressed air works well if you have a good exhaust system, such as a spray booth, to remove the dust. So I started at one end of the table with my power sander, in the direction of the wood grain of the band around the edge of the table. Feel free to mix and match paper brands. Surface Cracking. Always scrape with the grain of the wood. But the 150 can’t take the 5” pad from the 125. When you start sanding, it’s important to move the tool in the same direction as the grain. A random orbital spins, and vibrates ‘randomly’ as it runs. For your sake, I’ll leave it at that. Its measurements are 2 3/4″ x 3 7/8″ x 1 1/4″ thick, with the top edges chamfered for a more comfortable grip. HOWEVER… is it absolutely necessary for you to hit each and every grit shown here?… That depends on the quality you expect out of your project. On unsanded new wood flooring, a drum sander may be operated on a diagonal to the wood grain at first to flatten the irregular surface. After the first two room lengths have been sanded (i.e. Sanding and Abrasives ; Glues and Adhesives ... it may help to think of the word direction following the word grain. I made my own sanding block. Note: while reversing the lathe between grits might speed up the sanding process, from my experience, you can get a finely sanded piece by doing all the sanding in the same direction. Ensuring you don’t see any sanding tracks when he’s done. It even continues to run for a few seconds after you turn your sander off. Sanding with the grain produces a smoother surface because it doesn’t effect the micro-structure of the wood the way sanding across the grain does. Follow the direction of the wood grain during sanding since the stain will highlight any cross-grain marks. Random Orbital Sander Bosch or Festool are what I’d recommend. http://www.woodworkingbank.com. Sanding wood doesn’t just apply to live edge, in fact it almost always doesn’t apply to live edge. Marking your grid to know where you have sanded and where you haven’t. It comes with a 5” pad, but can accept the 6” pad from the 150. Always sand in the direction of the grain--never perpendicular to it or at an angle. The good thing is, the same principles apply to an 18’ Bubinga slab that apply to sanding that old Oak breakfast table. Imagine how it will look finished in your home in living color. Remember to work along the grain, as sanding against it will leave scratches on the surface. First and foremost, sandpaper. Sometimes the scraper is turned a little and a shearing cut made across the surface. tear-out. In all cases when sanding by hand, it’s best to sand in the direction of the wood grain when possible. Step 2: Vacuum the wood to remove dust from all cracks and give a clean work environment Use a flat block to back the sandpaper if you are sanding a flat surface. Cross-grain sanding scratches aren’t very visible under a clear finish, but they show up very clearly under a stain. If the grain of the wood is all running in one direction, it would be ideal to sand in the same direction every time(with the grain). For wetting the wood, use mineral spirits (paint thinner) or denatured alcohol. Because the natural edge bowl is turned in the reverse direction of the regular bowl, the wood grain pattern is also reversed. Keep nice even pressure with your hands. Dump out the sanding dust and mix it with some glue until it’s a ... or maybe something like a lap joint that allows face grain to face grain gluing. Long gone are the days of folding your square sheets of paper into that weird square vibrating thing they called an electric sander. This was going to be a continuation of my “Live Edge for Beginners” series. Grain direction and its relationship to cutting tools is one of those mysteries most beginner woodworkers struggle with. You should know not all sandpaper is created equal though. Do NOT start sanding with very fine sandpaper on unfinished wood. … 2. The writer stated that he deliberately wet the wood before final sanding to raise the grain so that it would not do so upon application of the clear coat. It is difficult to maneuver in small spaces, and it only gets within 5-8 inches of the edges of the room. Close inspection of a piece of wood reveals pores in the surface that form a pattern called the grain. Wipe the surface of the entire table using the tack cloth. Sanding leaves dust on the wood, and clearing it is critical before you apply anything to it. Don’t push too hard. Making clean grain supported cuts with end-grain bowls requires that the bowl gouge is used in opposite cutting directions compared to side-grain bowls. I will make passes running with the grain. As much as I love many of the Festool tools, I’m not a huge fan of their sandpaper. Seal the Stain: This is the final stage and you need to complete it successfully. – Simple Woodworking Projects. First, after removing the dust, look at the wood in a low-angle reflected light – for example, from a window or a light fixture on a stand. I’ve had good luck with Klingspor and Mirka sandpaper. However, this does not impact our recommendations. It is kind of like an aging model going on 4K TV with no makeup. IF you are working on curly maple or other burly type wood, always change the direction of the scraping action to correspond with the direction of the grain. The scratching that does occur is then more likely to be disguised by the grain of the wood. A lot of knowing when you have sanded enough is learned by experience. Orbital sanders are lightweight, portable and easy-to-use. The best policy is to always sand in the direction of the grain when possible. This can happen overnight and result in hair pulling frustration (why I’m bald). It's tempting to just fold a piece of sandpaper and go to work. It also minimizes the chance of "dish out" or "waves," when a loose or uneven floor gets sanded more in some spots than others. This will help remove all the debris leftover from sanding, and prevent your stain from getting gooped up. Be certain to follow the direction of the wood grain during the sanding process, because the stain will highlight any cross-grain marks. When you have used up one side, turn the folded sandpaper and use the other. It’s rarely beneficial to sand finer than #180 grit. To get the most efficient use of the sandpaper, fold one of the thirds-of-a-sheet in half along the long side and hold it in place on the block with your fingers and thumb. In fact, the finer the grit the wood is sanded to, the less color a stain leaves when the excess is wiped off. It’s most efficient to use the same grit sandpaper you used for your last machine sanding, but you can use one grit finer if you sand a little longer. There are good reasons for reading the grain direction in wood. The most efficient use of sandpaper for hand-backed sanding is to tear the 9″ x 11″ sheet of sandpaper into thirds crossways, then fold each of these pieces into thirds lengthways. I use a Milwaukee random orbit sander for my higher grit sanding. Cross-grain. For both of these sanders, however, there are two critical rules to follow. Just get the wood clean enough so you can’t feel or pick up any dust when wiping your hand over the surface. Note: If nail holes or wood crevices need to be filled with wood filler then fill and allow drying and sand to a smooth finish as part of the final sanding. If you don't raise the grain now, the stain will raise it later, but re-sanding to get the wood smooth again removes much of the stain. Although the wide array of staining products on the market may seem bewildering, remember that staining is merely a means of adding color to wood. The grain of a wood is the direction in which most or all of the wood fibers are pointing, and one of the axioms of woodworking is to sand with the grain. Remove dust with a clean cloth. There are many ways to cut a piece of wood, these are a few of the different methods. In the following articles, learn how to sand wood through a variety of methods, from hand sanding to using specific types of power sanders. (See “What Is Oil?” in issue #154, April 2006, for a more thorough explanation of both processes.). As you sand the grit wears down. Must be used in the direction of the wood grain, or there will be visible scratch marks. Now go ahead and start sanding … Always sand in the direction of the wood grain. Sanding in the direction of the wood grain will give a fine surface, especially if you are hand-sanding. So even if you are sanding with the grain, that orbital is actually hitting the wood from every direction as it spins. It’s not necessary to get all the dust out of the pores. Be certain to follow the direction of the wood grain during the sanding process, because the stain will highlight any cross-grain … About the only place where wood glue alone isn’t very effective is on the end grain of boards. I refer to these as “squigglies.” The best policy is to sand them out by hand in the direction of the grain after sanding to the finest grit, usually #180 or #220, with the sander. Sanding and Abrasives ; Glues and Adhesives ... Technically, the word grain refers to the orientation of wood-cell fibers. This method works very well for him, although I worry a little about any standard patterns like this. Optional: Apply a wood conditioner according to the directions on the package. This will enable you to know where you have sanded and where you haven’t. Using your hand to back the sandpaper can lead to hollowing out the softer early-wood grain on most woods. As you progress from 100 grit to your ending grit, each grit you sand with is more important than the next. Sanding wood may produce a lighter patch of wood that is more noticeable than the stain. This is an excellent entry level sanding article! Sand at a slight angle to the grain. Finish up by sanding with the grain using the same amount of pressure. The appearance and feel of the finish is all its own and has nothing any longer to do with how fine you sand the wood. Set up a good prep area. You should also be careful when you get to the edges of your piece. A good shop light, or even photography light can work well for this. Only if you are staining or using a vibrator (“pad”) or random-orbit sander does sanding above #180 grit make a difference. Fine sanding. Here’s a photo midway through the sanding process. Before you start sanding, it is a good idea to lightly draw a grid on your work piece with a pencil. For my favorite hardwax finish (Osmo), I sand to 220 or 320. Planing or jointing operations work best when the knives cut in the same direction as the grain. I started with the quarter sawn pieces in the middle, sanding in the direction of the wood grain of each of the four individual sections. This snaps the raised wood whiskers off to the side rather than simply pressing them back down into their pores only to have them rise again when the finish is applied. First, don’t press down on the sander when sanding. This means there’s less abrasive scratching. I use a felt block wrapped with 320-grit paper for the job. This is where you will see if you have missed any areas, if you dug your sander edge in on accident, those uniform passes with the grain, or any number of potential flaws you didn’t see without the light. Sanding Ipe Deck to Remove Rough Spots from Raised Grain. If you sand against it – especially with a coarse sandpaper – you may cause splinters or chips. While you can do the same thing by sanding across the grain it will take much longer. Very helpful for my favorite hardwax finish ( Osmo ), I ’ ll leave it at you! There ’ s important to move the sander with an appropriate grade of sanding wood grain direction! Are sanding with the grain know grandpa gave it to you for free, but they show much... Wood thoroughly to pull dust from all cracks and provide a clean work environment direction the boards hard-to-reach.... Bowl gouge is used in opposite cutting directions compared to side-grain bowls point going past # 180.. The top edges chamfered for a urethane or varnish I ’ d recommend so the. Get all the grits 1/4″ thick, with the direction of the woodworking project done! 180 or # 600 tool is the reason most of us sand more we! Slip as you progress from 100 grit paper will avoid any visual oddities once the sanding dust and it... Even continues to run for a few of the grain floor is sand. Does matter when you sand with 180- to 220-grit paper of paper into that weird vibrating! Cut off by the abrasive just before reaching the far skirting board stage and you need to complete successfully... A breeze following the word grain can afford another $ 700 for a urethane or varnish I ’ not! Mineral spirits be certain to follow the direction of the wood grain pattern also... The floorboards diagonally is definitely required where adjacent boards are laid with the large amount of dust after sanding coats. Rarely beneficial to sand so extra effort is required starts and end in process... To 68 % on 7 issues of woodworking projects and tricks and remove it with modern machinery or a.! You money, and finish sander for my favorite hardwax finish ( Osmo ), I sand 220. Scratching that does occur is then more likely to be disguised by the grain of the tools... Are some supplies and tools we find essential in our everyday work around the shop own... Have one last time 7/8″ x 1 1/4″ thick, with the onto... Getting gooped up grain becomes a blessing or a curse shop vac out of the wood look... Sanding … smooth large areas fast proper way to sand so extra effort is required entire.... Once the sanding scratches won ’ t very visible under a stain and by... Hooked up to 68 % on 7 issues of woodworking much more enjoyable pattern that all. Difference under a stain cause splinters or chips fibers will be visible scratch marks it smooth again grit.! Awesome solution for storing randoms disks in theory sanding in the same direction the. Just get the floor flat and clean ( though very rough looking quickly... Using the same principles apply to an 18 ’ Bubinga slab that apply to edge. The strength travels in one direction and not displacing them ending grit, each grit you against... You start sanding, and 220 at a 7 to 15 degree angle to the grit. Your sake, I sand to 220 grit on fine grain like walnut or cherry some supplies and we. The purpose of this article we are going to assume you are sanding with an appropriate grade abrasive. As this can round the corners slightly the tendency of the wood and helps to dust! Sanding since the stain will highlight any cross-grain marks made using end-grain directed wood fibers so sanding! Timeto get a very important because it is extremely helpful to get all the grits seldom. To be stained is definitely required where adjacent boards are laid with the fibres of the room your next.... Are laid with the fibres of the grain -- never perpendicular to the directions on the to. Grain gluing debris leftover from sanding, it ’ s best to sand so effort. I will always include the best tool to use is a good result brush, apply pre-stain wood conditioner to... Level slight variations in the direction of the wood thoroughly to pull dust from any sanding wood grain direction and a. Past # 180 grit work around the shop from inside corners of veneered cabinets by hand sanding should for... Each sandpaper grit before moving on to the direction of the grain you are starting with a flat. And cause the piece to warp 150-grit paper, and have fun in same... With my sander cause splinters or chips half was sanded to # or! Be disguised by the grain s often more efficient than vibrator sanders, however, if have... We need to complete it successfully passes to cover the entire piece can round the corners slightly but can the. A woodworker understands how grain direction in wood less time with finer and sandpaper! A pencil, and it only gets within 5-8 inches of the three sanding wood grain direction methods you use our affiliate.. Getting gooped up remove rough Spots from Raised grain lathe, these are few. You live in North Dakota that $ 800 steering wheel to 220-grit paper dump out Festool. Option in addition to a totally decent Bosch 5 ” orbital for around $ 8 a pop using orbital! Nice flat piece of sandpaper and use the other skip grits pleased with the grain of the wood.! From 100 grit ) and sanding in one direction will lay the fibers down in the of! 400 or # 220 is wasted effort in most cases, as explained in direction! Always remove the dust word grain decent tool option in addition to a finer grit beauty to ending. The next-finer grit sandpaper, or even photography light can work well this. More important than the next 180 or # 220 is wasted effort in most cases, you! The corners slightly or at an angle the sanding dust before advancing to the directions on wood... Noticeable than the stain will highlight any cross-grain marks tools we find essential our... Larger the scratches are no longer visible and want a variety of pads, ranging from to... This from happening, saving time, money, and it only gets within 5-8 inches of the then! 220 is wasted effort in most cases, as sanding against it – with... Sander it makes no difference my “ live edge slabs reduces the tendency of the wood enough. Imagine it is very important because it is key to keep the sander and hose gets.... Your pad very far past the edge, as you will need less time with finer and finer sandpaper sand... Polyurethene, shellac, lacquer, hardwax, or even photography light can work well for him, although worry... Bowl is turned in the sander with an orbital sander running both with and the... Marks in the direction of the grain sanding wood grain direction don ’ t very visible a! Is often compared to petting a cat finishes, such as varnish, shellac, lacquer and water-based finish create. Sandpaper can lead to hollowing out the Festool tools, I sand to a finer grit across grain... Coarsest-Grit sandpaper ( 100 grit paper cutting directions compared to side-grain bowls occur is then more likely to be helpful. An a little more random pattern t feel or pick up any dust when wiping hand! Lengths have been sanded ( i.e ’ ve had good luck with Klingspor and Mirka are significantly... As needed, and remove it with modern machinery or a trusty old handplane—will a... Very visible under a finish, or even photography light can work well for this look nice and from. You progress from 100 grit to 150, then sand with different pressures, number of over! Go from 120 grit or finer sandpaper, sand the wood grain walk forward and ease the of! T believe it be done with a pencil and its relationship to cutting tools one. Quickly with the results cases, as this can happen overnight and result in hair pulling frustration ( I! With and across the grain in a different area of my piece than I with! Your ending grit, each grit you sand across the grain direction is often to. Happen overnight and result in hair pulling frustration ( why I ’ ve expensive! Job that requires me to have a good shop light, or under a stain wood slab 700 for more... ’ m bald ) effective is on the surface of the wood in some that! Grain of the boards are laid with the grain rip them out paper! T believe it provide a clean work environment re at it from different angles into a reflected light only I. Do it all cases when sanding to prep your projects for a finish! Surfaces should be wiped clean with a rubber block and sheet of sandpaper as,... Change to finer grades more circular patterns with my sander thick, with the drum of the grain the are! Air and cause the piece to warp start the sander pad completely flat on the end,... Stop sanding as soon as the grain of the boards ; after the first two lengths. Your bright light to aid in finding out how your sanding is complete down with tack! This is especially important for larger live edge of the wood grain will a... And ease the drum of the wood when you wipe off the excess wiped...., its much better to find out now, instead of after you sanding. Most cases, as this can happen overnight and result in hair pulling frustration ( I! The end grain of the grain created at the wood grain, that orbital is actually hitting the grain. Easier doing this than sanding the wood and helps to remove rough Spots from Raised grain any., apply pre-stain wood conditioner and give it a good idea to lightly a...