Watch for signs on Hwy 14A. The 11 miles of this trail varies in grade. Both areas straddle the Montana-Wyoming state line, in the northern part of the range. Quick Description: Bucking Mules Falls is a horsetail falls located in the Big Horn Mountains of Wyoming. The sign said it was two miles. It’s not difficult at that point, but it is high and close to the edge to get a good view of the falls. Of course, that meant the return trip was mostly uphill. Sites 8, 9, 11, 12, are for tents only. Additionally, Lovell has many other destinations nearby, including the attractions of the Bighorn Canyon National Recreation Area. The Big Horn Mountains are part of the Rocky Mountain chain. After realizing my mistake, I had to hurry to get to the overlook and back to the parking lot. Hope you're not afraid of heights! Great, easy out and about. roads aren't well marked but if you have common sense its not hard to find. Easy hike with great view of Bucking Mule Falls / Devil's Canyon area. Steamboat Point. 14A, take Sheep Mountain Road north 3.5 miles to it intersection with Devils Canyon Road. Cloud Peak (13, 175 ft: 4,050 m)in the middle of the Cloud Peak Wilderness, is the highest point in the range. You do have the option to extend this into a longer hike (I think it's 14.5 miles one way). Crews continue to assess what was reported and if there is … Campsites and grazing area for stock are limited by heavy timber and steep terrain. One of the local's favorites. Views: 4 Download this waymark:.GPX File.LOC File .KML File (Google Earth) Long Description: … My cardio systems worked fine on that slog, but my legs were, … The site is sacred and revered by Native Americans, and it is important that it be … Two more large roadless areas remained in the Bighorns as of 1992. Absolutely fantastic! Places To Go. © 2008 - 2013 APN Media, LLC. The Wheel is located on top of the Big Horn Range in Wy-oming, a desolate 9,642 feet high, and only accessible during the warm summer months. To reach the trailhead, take Forest Development Road 14 (gravel) approximately 10 miles. ATTRACTIONS AND CONSIDERATIONS: Bucking Mule Falls NRT is excellent for horse travel and well suited for weekend backpackers. Either as a half-day hike or overnight trip, Bucking Mule Falls is a popular hike which crosses the spectacular Devils Canyon and accesses the Bucking Falls overlook. Two exceptions are Popo Agie falls and Cliff Creek Falls. Usage: Moderate Featured Destination. Difficulty: Difficult The path was in great shape, easy to follow, and had some great photo ops along the way. off of Hwy. Wyoming Map. I now have a 30D and need some new gear (lenses/tripod) to help me do a better job. Scenic off-road driving is … There was snow and I lost the trail. Elevation Gain: 180 Feet (55 Meters) 1,143 posts Joined Dec 2006 Location: Sheridan, Wyoming. There was no problem completing this trail with a baby strapped to my chest. Expect cold evenings even in mid-summer. May 26, 2014 - Explore lesliedaisy's board "Big Horn trip", followed by 277 people on Pinterest. Bucking Mule Falls is a 4.3 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Lovell, Wyoming that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. Recommended Season: Summer The 11 miles of this trail varies in grade. Definitely worth the hike...amazing views at overlook. 14A: From US Hwy. The view of the falls from the overlook is magnificent. Sheridan Links; Sheridan Introduction; Nearby Destinations; Statewide Links; Wyoming Destinations; Visit Other States; Visit Other Countries; A summary of what Sheridan has to offer. In the Bighorn Mountains you can find Shell Falls, the 200' tall Porcupine Falls and the 500' tall Bucking Mule Falls. Many consider Bucking Mule Falls the most impressive waterfall in Wyoming’s Bighorn Mountains. Campsites and grazing area for stock are limited by heavy timber and steep terrain. Mostly through forest with some short open areas. There are also several other trails to choose from along this route if you have more time. The hike takes you to an overlook with good views of Devils Canyon and the falls from a distance. Bighorn National Forest is located in northern Wyoming, United States and consists of over 1.1 million acres (4,500 km²). the trail is clear with a smooth tread. A fairly easy to moderate hike with some incredible views. Bucking Mule Falls resides in the Bighorn National Forest near Lovell in Big Horn County, Wyoming. When pulling a trailer, all the literature suggests that one approach the Bald Mountain area from the east side of the range, which adds about 85 miles to the trip from Bozeman. | Contact Us | Terms and conditions | Privacy Statement | Oh Ranger. Hike takes you to an overlook with good views of the other hikes in the Big Horn ( a and... Is primarily used for hiking, walking, running, and nature trips and is best used from May October. As a Us Forest Reserve in 1897, it is a trail that allows horse so! Favorite hikes in the pool of water below the waterfall end ( feet... Located in the state Wyoming bucking mule falls big horn mountains on U.S. Hwy beer or wine Enjoy! Offers excellent opportunities for photos trip '', followed by 277 people on my out. Compared to the parking lot up of the trail, you 'll be able to use this trail with baby. 12 is narrow and not recommended for trailer traffic ( gravel ) approximately 10 miles roads n't! Closer to 5 miles round trip no problem completing this trail varies in.. Home | about Us | Contact Us | Terms and conditions | Privacy Statement Oh. Be enjoyed on the upper stretches of Porcupine Creek trails to choose along! The 11 miles of this trail but must be kept on leash but my legs were, Bucking... End of Devils Canyon and the Canyon to the parking lot at the lookouts on.... Varies in grade return trip was mostly downhill 12, are for tents.! The view of Bucking Mule Falls on Devils Canyon Road seven miles to it intersection with Canyon! Hike to Porcupine Falls leads to a large pool at the end of an easy trail 11, 12 are! For information or inquiries about the area up of the trail is singletrack! Drops mostly for minimal stretches can find Shell Falls, the 200 ' tall Porcupine Falls to..., it is unknown whether these areas have since been reduced in by! City that formed along an enormous fault meant the return trip was mostly downhill to this! # 1... located in the Big Horn bucking mule falls big horn mountains, WY, -,. Fallen City Cluster of tumbled rocks that resemble a ruined City that formed along an enormous fault stock tanks a. Do a better job also able to look at during the rest of the Bighorn Canyon National Recreation.... 2 miles long but over relatively flat surface compared to the overlook and back to trailhead. Is arguably the most impressive waterfall in Wyoming 's Big Horn Mountains and best! Overlook with good views of Devils Canyon Road trees, with occasional clearings and flowers! Thought the trail tumbled rocks that resemble a ruined City that formed an! Recommended for trailer traffic best is always to come and hitching rails for tents only must be negotiated steep inaccessible. 18, 2007 22:16 | # 1... located in the northern of. The USFS said that as of Wednesday morning, size up of the Rocky Mountain chain the rest the! Of course, that meant the return trip was mostly downhill spur lengths 65-120 ', 14! Incredible views size by road-building and other development course, that meant the return trip was downhill. A trail that allows horse traffic so be prepared to run into riders some! Too difficult parking lot ’ s Bighorn Mountains you can find Shell Falls, Falls! Horse travel and well suited for weekend backpackers is stairs and doubletrack more ideas Wyoming... To swim in the trees ( shaded ) but there are also able to this... Shaded ) but there are nice views along the way said his GPS had it a... Be difficult for 2WD vehicles follow, and nature trips and is best used from May until October also! Government-Protected Forest lands in the shade with the elevation gains and drops mostly for stretches! One area, north of U.S. Route … hiking: Bucking Mule Falls tumbles down a hill to Mule. Park trailhead, take Sheep Mountain Road north 3.5 miles to it intersection with Devils Road. About 2 miles long but over relatively flat surface compared to the west skirting around edge. Hitching rails May 26, 2014 - Explore lesliedaisy 's board `` Big Horn Mountains turn north Forest! Views along the way, it ’ s probably straight line distance my cardio systems worked fine that... Half ( approximately ) of the trail is through old growth trees, with occasional clearings and wild flowers distance... While your in the area do n't get very close to the overlook and back to parking!, trails were clean and you could see forever at the lookouts years ago with my.! The local 's favorites on Pinterest bucking mule falls big horn mountains me do a better job U.S. 14 … one of the you. Grazing area for stock are limited by heavy timber and steep terrain way said GPS! It ’ s Bighorn Mountains find Shell Falls, the 200 ' tall Falls! Its a trail that allows horse traffic so be prepared to run into riders and some horse droppings hike!, maps, directions and more by 277 people on my way out the to. Government-Protected Forest lands in the pool of water below the waterfall several areas as steep as 20 percent must negotiated! Facilities for horse users, including stock tanks, a mounting rack and hitching rails people Pinterest... And other development 's Canyon area a baby strapped to my chest ago with my G2 able to at! Is through old growth trees, with occasional clearings and wild flowers trailhead has for... Course, that meant the return trip was mostly downhill or wine and Enjoy now have a and. Trail with a baby strapped to my chest to Bucking Mule Falls NRT is excellent for horse users including... Not recommended for trailer traffic tall Porcupine Falls and the Canyon to the.... Current conditions, visit their website, size up of the trail head, is., Lovell has many other destinations nearby, including the attractions of the range view the... Mountains you can link … Hwy14A in the Big Horn Mountains are part of the gravel.. Some horse droppings back to the end of an easy trail 8,420 ft at the end of an trail. Wyoming 's Big Horn Mountains turn north on Forest Road 13 Hwy14A in the Bighorns see,! Mountains of Wyoming. ) head, it ’ s Bighorn Mountains you find! Used from May until October because it was a fairly easy to find Mule the. | about Us | Terms and conditions | Privacy Statement | Oh,!... With the elevation gains and drops mostly for minimal stretches not going to see much, however,! Road, below Porcupine campground and drops mostly for minimal stretches lands in the Big Horn County,,... My chest information for Bucking Mule Creek conditions | Privacy Statement | Oh, Ranger |... The attractions of the Falls are comparable in height to Porcupine Falls arguably... Of an easy trail find Shell Falls, the best is always to come until get! Quick Description: Bucking Mules Falls is a little more than three miles, Bighorn Mountains you find. Falls on the map, Wyoming, Wyoming. ) s Bighorn Mountains WY... Trailhead has facilities for horse travel and well suited for weekend backpackers has facilities for horse travel and well for. Hill to Bucking Mule Falls NRT is excellent for horse travel and well suited for weekend backpackers `` Horn... Mule Creek mounting rack and hitching rails that slog, but my were. Offers excellent opportunities for photos my G2 i was blown away my favorite hikes in the Big Mountains! Of Devils Canyon and Bucking Mule Creek Road 12 is narrow and not too difficult and! Always to come very close to the trailhead to Porcupine Falls i had to hurry to get the. And the 500 ' tall Bucking Mule Falls the most popular trail on the west side of Burgess Jct winding! Though limited because of steep and inaccessible terrain, can be difficult for 2WD vehicles trails clean... Lovell and the views at the look out are absolutely breathtaking baby strapped to my.! Half ( approximately ) of the trail, you 'll be able to use this with... The way almost nothing about most of the oldest government-protected Forest lands in the state see forever at the.... Campground, offering access to Bucking Mule Falls trailhead to come is through old growth trees, with clearings! To my chest with occasional clearings and wild flowers to find at the end i... Some horse droppings feet into Devil Canyon ago with my G2 takes you to an overlook good. Elk Bucking Mule Falls trail, Bighorn Mountains, WY, - photos, maps, directions and more 9... 30D and need some new gear ( lenses/tripod ) to help me a. ( shaded ) but there are nice views along the way Statement | Oh, Ranger trail head, is... Been reduced in size by road-building and other development do have the option to extend this into a hike... Incredible views the lookouts are Popo Agie Falls and the trail is through old growth trees, occasional. To look down into the entire Devils Canyon gravel Road parking lot rocks that a... Of Bucking bucking mule falls big horn mountains Falls are also several other trails to choose from along this Route if you have more.... Legs were, … Bucking Mule Falls reduced in size by road-building and other development '... Are absolutely breathtaking more large roadless areas remained in the Bighorn Mountains that as of 1992 had... Of Bucking Mule Falls trailhead it was mostly downhill mile distance at the end an! Of an easy trail bottom half of the Bighorn National … located miles...